Debut film as playback singer: Shastra
Husband: Bobby Khan (director; divorced
Favorite Actor: Akshaye Khanna
Favorite Actress: Madhuri Dixit
Favorite Film: Sadma
Favorite Color: Bottle green, black and white
Favorite Sport: Gymnasts and Cricket
Popularly known as: singer of ‘Ruki Ruki Si Jindagi’ from film Mast
Sunidhi Chauhan is one of the top female singers present in India. Her versatile singing securely stands herself against other singers like Alka Yagnik, Shreya Ghoshal and Alisha Chinoi. Sunidhi recently won a Filmfare award for a song ‘Beedi Jalaayile’ from film Omkara.
Sunidhi started singing from the very early age of four. Based in Delhi her family came to Mumbai to try her luck in playback singing. At a very young age, Sunidhi claims to fame with the TV talent show ‘Meri Awaz Suno’. She won the competition as well as hearts of audience. The show was fetched on National TV channel Doordarshan which was seen across all India. It was India’s first TV contest. The prize for the winner of the show was an album with HMV. So Sunidhi after the show done the album Aira Gaira Nathu Khaira.
Sunidhi later joined the Kalyanji-Anandji’s troupe called ‘Little Wonders’. With the troupe Sunidhi traveled over many countries and done stage shows. Sunidhi got her first break with the film Shastra. She sang the song ‘Ladki Diwani’ for the film. But the song didn’t gain her an identity. Her breakthrough performance came with the film ‘Mast’. The song ‘Ruki Ruki Si Jindagi’ from the film is one of her hits. It was composer Sandeep Chowtha’s debut film which earned Sunidhi her first hit. Sunidhi later went on to sing for Sandeep Chowtha in Jungle. Later she sang in Vidhu Vinod Chpra’s Mission Kashmir. Since then she never looked back and delivered many hits on her credit
Sunidhi didn’t have any former training in Indian classical music, but now she is learning it improve her skills. Along with Indian music Sunidhi also like to listen Western music. Mariah Carey and Michael Jackson are her favorites.
Her hit songs includes Crazy Kiya Re (Dhoom 2), Deedar De (Dus), Dhoom Machale (Dhoom), Beedi Jalaaile (Omkara), Mehboob Mere (Fiza), Bhaage Re Mann (Chameli), Sajna Ji Vaari Vaari (Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd) and many more. Sunidhi also has sung English song ‘Reach Out’ at the opening ceremony of 2006′s Asian Games at Doha, Qatar. She has also sung the songs for the Hindi-dubbed version of Disney Channel Original Movie High School Musical.
Sunidhi once married music video director/producer Bobby Khan, but the couple later divorced.
Sunidhi Chauhan – Hit Songs
- Aaja Nachle – Aaja Nachle
- Ya Ali – Aap Ka Suroor
- Cash Meri Aankhon Mein – Cash
- Hey Shona – Ta Ra Rum Pum
- Crazy Kiya Re – Dhoom 2
- Sajnaji Vari Vari – Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.
- Pyaar Ki Ek Kahani – Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.
- Beedi Jalaile – Omkara
- Dhoom Machale – Dhoom
- Kaisi Paheli Zindagaani – Parineeta
- Right Here Right Now - Bluffmaster
- Ek Din Fursat – Zindaggi Rocks
- Dhadak Dhadak – Bunty Aur Babli
- Deedar De – Dus
- Sajna Ve Sajna – Chameli
- Bhaage Re Mann – Chameli
- Mehboob Mere – Fiza
- Ishq Samundar – Kaante
- Tere Ishq Me – Supari
- Dil Mein Jagi Dhadkan Aise – Sur
Sunidhi Chauhan – Awards
- 2000 – Filmfare R.D. Burman Award for New Music Talent
- 2001 – R. D. Burman award for most promising newcomer
- 2004 – Star Screen Award Best Female Playback – Sajna Ve Sajna (for Chameli)
- 2005 – IIFA Awards Female Best Playback Singer – Dhoom Machale
- 2005 – Zee Cine Award Best Playback Singer – Female -Dhoom Machale
- 2006 – Star Screen Award Best Female Playback Singer- Beedi for Omkara
- 2007- Filmfare Award Best Female Playback Singer- Beedi for Omkara