A pair of citrus fruit find a place on the Google home page in celebration of Albert Szent-Györgyi 118th birthday. Hungarian physiologist who is credited with discovering vitamin C and the components and reactions of the citric acid cycle, Albert von Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt born on September 16, 1893 in Budapest, Austro-Hungary.The Google doodle in honour of Albert von Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápol is rich in vitamin C and has in it some of the best sources of vitamin C – oranges, lemons, strawberries and more.
For his discoveries in connection with the biological combustion process with special reference to vitamin C and the catalysis of fumaric acid Albert Szent-Gyorgyi has won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1937.
Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Quotes
- A living cell requires energy not only for all its functions, but also for the maintenance of its structure.
- Discovery is seeing what everybody else has seen, and thinking what nobody else has thought.
- Investigations during the last few decades have brought hydrogen instead of carbon, and instead of CO2 water, the mother of all life, into the foreground.
- Research is four things: brains with which to think, eyes with which to see, machines with which to measure and, fourth, money.
- The real scientist is ready to bear privation and, if need be, starvation rather than let anyone dictate to him which direction his work must take.
Albert Szent-Gyorgyi died on October 22, 1986 in Woods Hole, Massachusetts at the age of 93.