Today is the 176th birthday of Mark Twain’s. Google is celebrated this occasion with a nice doodle which depicts a famous scene from one of Twain’s most famous novels The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Samuel Langhorne Clemens who is better known by his pen name Mark Twain was born on November 30, 1835.
Mark Twain was an American author and humorist. He is most noted for his novels, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876), and its sequel, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), the latter often called “The Great American Novel.” The two novels are his most famous works and count among America’s best-loved tales.
The scene from Tom Sawyer chosen by Google to celebrate the anniversary of his creator’s birth sees Tom painting the fence as punishment by Aunt Polly for dirtying his clothes in a fight with a boy from St Louis.
Mark Tawin Best 10 Quotes & Quotations :
- An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before. An American is a person who does things because they haven’t been done before.
- Do something every day that you don’t want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain.
- Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.
- I have a higher and grander standard of principle than George Washington. He could not lie; I can, but I won’t.
- I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
- When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
- Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Twain’s died at the age of 74 on April 21, 1910.