World Blood Donor Day is day dedicated to “thanking and celebrating voluntary non-remunerated blood donors”. Every year World Blood Donor Day occurs on June 14, on the birthday of Karl Landsteiner, the creator of the ABO blood group system, for which he won the Nobel Prize. The first World Blood Donor Day was held in 2005.
The World Blood Donor Day provides an opportunity to draw public attention to the importance of blood donation to save lives. It is an opportunity to express gratitude to those who donate their blood in order to save lives, without expecting anything in return.
One of the main goals of the World Blood Donor Day is to ensure the availability of ‘safe blood’ for transfusion.
World Blood Donors Day Quotes
- Be a blood and organ donor. All it costs is a little love. - Author Unknown
- Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does. - William James
- Wherever a man turns he can find someone who needs him. - Albert Schweitzer
- In about the same degree as you are helpful, you will be happy. - Karl Reiland
- How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world. - William Shakespeare
- We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. - Herman Melville
- The purpose of life is not to be happy – but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all.- Leo Rosten
- Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.- Dr. Seuss
- Nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something. - Author Unknown
- We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. - Winston Churchill
- Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.-Mohammed Ali
- It’s easy to make a buck. It’s a lot tougher to make a difference.- Tom Brokaw
- The only gift is a portion of thyself.- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Find a need and fill it. - Ruth Stafford Peale
- You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. - Kahlil Gibran
- You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you. - John Wooden
World Blood Donor Day 2012 Theme :
The global theme of the World Blood Donor Day 2012 is “every blood donor is a hero” focuses on the idea that every one of us can become a hero by giving blood.
Guys, if you are a blood donor, you are a hero to someone, somewhere, who received your gracious gift of life. I am proud as a voluntary blood donor, What about you????